Sunday, March 11, 2012

AND.........

Friday I spent the day with the boys- from 8, to 6:30. Which is a loooong day in a hot, small hospital room. Being in that room for 2 hours puts everyone to sleep. To top it off, I had a terrible migraine, which I haven't had one that bad since before I was pregnant. I think I only had 2 while I was pregnant. Anyway, I loved spending the day with the boys. And they blocked off one of the rooms they give to parents for me. The room has a bed, chair, and nightstand in it- just so you can take naps or stay the night if you live far away.

The boys did wonderfully with all of their feedings and I gave them both baths all by myself (no one was watching over me). I don't think she had to watch over me because she took off all their leads, where the other nurses kept them on for their baths. My mom came and spent a good portion of the day with me so I wasn't by myself, which was nice :) AND when I went to lay down in between feedings, my mom would sit with them so they weren't alone.

I texted Shane pictures of the boys after their baths and he couldn't resist not being there, so he came on his lunch break to visit them.

Yesterday they both had great days. Brooks didn't have any bradys and Nolan had 1!

Today, when we got there the nurse told us that after Nolan's care time, she was going to do his car seat test!!! A car seat test is where they place a baby in their car seat for 90 minutes, attached to all their monitors, to see if they can make it without setting anything off for a long amount of time. I think someone told me 90 minutes is the minimum time they do, if you plan to take long trips anytime soon or you live far away, they do it longer.  If a baby doesn't pass the car seat test, they redo it in 24 hours. If a baby doesn't go home within 72 hours after their car seat test, they have to redo it. So when they do the car seat test, they pretty much think they are going home soon. AND to top it off, she said that Brooks will probably have his car seat test done tonight! According to the nurse practitioner, Brooks could be going home soon, too!! Deep in my heart I was hoping both boys would go home together, but I was preparing myself for them going home separately. I just hope that they aren't separated for long.

ANYWAY Nolan PASSED!!!!! He was so cute. He kept looking around, wondering what he was doing all strapped in. I was soooo proud of him.


The nurse said that because we gave Brooks his bath, we weren't going to do his car seat yet. It would have been too much for him. We had done Nolan's car seat test before his bath, just based off of their care times. So she said maybe the night nurse would do it. We have to leave the NICU at 6:30, so I called at 7:30 when they opened back up to see if she really was going to do it. She told me she was going to wait and see for a little while, just because he did have 3 bradys today (all low and self-resolving). I'm going to call back a little later and see what she plans to do. 

I can't believe we might have both our sweet angels home this week. I don't want to get my hopes up, but I really, really, hope they can come home close together!

No comments:

Post a Comment