Friday, March 16, 2012

Brooks is Home!!

We've been busy, busy, busy!

Tuesday we took Nolan to the pediatrician= everything is great!

Shane went to the NICU on the way home from work and then I went later that night. The nurse said that they (the NICU team of nurses, neonatologists, pediatricians, etc.) think Brooks might be able to go home Monday. At first I was kind of sad about that, but I reminded myself that he needs to be in the NICU, and it's the best place for him to be. It was so sad leaving him again. The only thing that made it easier was that he was zonked out!

Wednesday morning we called and everything was going great. Nolan was doing great at home, he's such a good baby! My mom has been around every day continuing to help me get things ready, so we were very busy that day. The plan was for me to go to the NICU for his 2 pm care time and stay till around 4, and then Shane would make it to his 5 pm care time and I would go home to work on things at the house.

When I got to the hand washing stink inside the NICU, the speech pathologist approached me and told me she would like to see me one more time during his feeding to see how he was doing. Since he was probably going home on Monday, we planned to meet on Friday.

Then when I got to his room, the nurse told me that things had changed. After his cares, she was going to put him in his car seat for his test! I was so excited! She said the doctor thought he could go home on Friday!! I was thrilled.

Then, as I was feeding him, the doctor came by and said she wasn't too concerned about the small dips in heart rate, because they weren't that low and they were quick. AND that they'll see what happens for tomorrow (Thursday!). I didn't want to get too excited, so I still mentally prepared myself for Friday or even Monday. I ended up staying for his whole hour and a half car seat test and then I left to go home to Nolan and Shane came for his 5:00 feeding.

This morning, when we called to see how he was, the nurse reiterated that she heard discharge could be today! But they hadn't done rounds yet. I had a meeting with a home nurse today, but I couldn't wait to get over there. The social worker called me around 11:30-12 today and told me that discharge WAS going to be today! I called the NICU nurse a little while later to be sure. As soon as Shane could leave work, he came to pick me up and we went and got our little boy!

So far, everything is wonderful. I held both boys on my chest for the longest time. It is the best feeling in the world, having your family healthy, and in your home. <3

2 comments:

  1. Katie, congratulations from two of your TPP kids, Thomas (and Jackson). We read about your two angels in this morning's Baltimore Sun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I miss my mornings with Thomas! Hope you all are doing well!

      Delete