Monday, March 26, 2012

Life at Home

We are so in love with our boys.

It is the best feeling not to have to go to the hospital anymore. This past Saturday was pretty rainy out and I remember a day when it was dreary and raining awhile ago, and all I wanted to do was lay in bed with my family. Instead, we headed to the NICU. This past Saturday, we cuddled in bed with our babies while hearing the rain hit the windows. It was exactly what I had dreamt of my whole pregnancy- my family, together, safe at home. 

The boys are perfect. They are happy, they sleep wonderfully (except for occasional bits of reflux), and they continue to grow. 

We feed the boys every 3 hours. When we first had them home together, we (Shane and I) fed them together every feeding- each of us feeding one baby. After a few days, we were getting pretty tired. So we decided to feed them together mostly during the day. Then one of us getting up at 3 am and the other getting up at 6 am, then together again at 9 am. That way we each get about a 5 hour stretch of sleep. It seems to be working pretty well so far, we'll see what happens when Shane goes back to work!

The nursery is still a work in progress. Our flooring was backordered for a few weeks, but it finally came in. My mom, aunt, and sister had painted the nursery when I was in the hospital, and the furniture comes this Thursday. The boys are sleeping in our room right now, which works out fine. The dining room table has been transformed into a changing table/ clothing storage station. I decided to strip and stain an old dresser myself- my mom helped with sanding because I feel so weak after awhile. She keeps telling me it's from being so stationary in the hospital, which I know is true, it's just frustrating! 

The whole house is really still a work in progress. My family has helped so much- organizing my kitchen, going through things in the extra bedroom, and cleaning out stuff in the basement, PLUS stocking me up on baby supplies since I still haven't had a baby shower- but I will soon! :) And now I can get excited about it! 

Through it all, Shane and I still had time to celebrate our 11 year anniversary of dating last Sunday with a nice dinner at home. Cheesy yes, since we're married now, but we celebrated it for so long, it's hard not to! I've also had my hair done, bought some new clothes, and Shane's even had time to hang out with some friends a little bit. It's amazing how much more time we have to relax a little bit now!

I'll keep everyone updated on our sweet boys! Life at home is perfect so far! 

4 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your twins! I read about your boys on The Baltimore Sun, and I had to look up your blog. I'm so glad you decided to share your story. I was reading your back entries today at work, and I started crying at my desk. My son was born at 32 weeks and had to spend eight days in the NICU. Your posts really brought back memories, from the C-section and recovery (where you couldn't go visit your baby until much later), to the amazing care of the NICU nurses and doctors. My son is five now, and, at 55 lbs, you'd never know he was a preemie!

    I blogged about my NICU experience once too. (You don't have to read it, but in case you're curious.) http://www.brigidkemmerer.com/2010/11/heres-my-tale-of-thanks.html

    Anyway, I just wanted to say congratulations, and I know I'm a random stranger on the internet, so I have no idea how much that might mean. But I'm so happy everything worked out, and I hope you have a wonderful time with your darling boys.

    Brigid Kemmerer

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read your blog. There's nothing like a mother's instinct, even when you're pregnant! Going with your gut probably saved yours and your son's life!

    And thank you! It does mean a lot to me, especially that you contacted me. We really appreciate it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Katie. I have MoMo boys and I am from Baltimore, too! My boys will be 3 in May! :)

    ReplyDelete