Monday, March 12, 2012

Sweet Nolan is Home!

I got a call from the hospital this morning around 9 am. I usually don't call until 9:30-10 because they change shifts at 7:30, and their care times aren't until 8 and 9, that way the new nurse can actually tell me how they are from her experience, not how the previous nurse told her they were. So anyway, I was waiting around to call and of course I freaked out for a split second when I saw the first few digits of what I knew was our hospital number. As soon as I picked up, the nurse told me everything was fine, but she wanted to know if we had left outfits there for their pictures to be taken. Immediately I knew Nolan might be going home soon because they don't do NICU baby pictures till their discharge day, but I wasn't sure. I told her we were coming in before their 11 and 12 care times.

So we got there and the photographer girl was there already taking their pictures. When the practitioners, doctors, nurses, and neonatologist came by for their rounds, the practitioner asked if we had heard Nolan was going home today. We said, "we heard it was rumored he was going home..."She responded, "He's being discharged today." Yea!!!!!!

So we spent part of the day there, just so we could be with Brooks for some of it. Then, after Nolan's 3:oo feeding, when he was happy and nice and full, we left. I think that after the pregnancy- wondering if the babies were alive everyday, this was the hardest part of the whole experience. It was heartbreaking leaving Brooks there alone. I felt terrible separating them. I know it's for the best, and Brooks still needs to be there, but he's always been with his brother. He's doing so well. I'm so afraid he's going to have setbacks because he's aware his brother's not there anymore. It was almost hard to be happy about taking Nolan home when I knew they wouldn't be together. It's going to be hard balancing being at home with Nolan, and still spending time with Brooks. I don't want him to think we've left him there forever by himself. Shane reminds me he won't remember this, and he is in the best place he can be right now, but it's still sad.

As we left, we took pictures with nurses and the practitioner. Everyone ran to be in the picture when they saw we were leaving. Everyone loves our boys!

So earlier today, the speech pathologist came back to see how Brooks was doing. He is still having bradys while he is eating. She told me she thinks we just have to be more patient with him, even though he is taking his own breaks, to maybe help him take his breaks longer and a little more often. She watched me again to see how I did. She complimented me because she said I really pick up on all his cues, when to break, how long to break, when to sit him up, and when he is ready to keep going. So, we'll see how he does. The practitioner said he is only a few days behind. Again, this is not a setback, he technically is further along than he should be anyway. They are 36 weeks gestation today, and 4 weeks old. :)

My Nolan is squirming close by. I can't believe he is here. I've been a mommy for 4 weeks and this is the first time I've felt like one. Shane said the same thing on the way home. Our prayers have been answered, we are so lucky. I just keep praying Brooks will be home soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment