Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Advice I'd Have For Others (so far)

There are some basic things I learned from other momo moms about what to bring:

-towels/ shampoo/ soap/ make-up

-pillows/ blankets/ some bring sheets

-pictures and things to remind you of home

-lap top/ kindle/ ipad/ ipod/ etc

-books/ magazines

-crafts

-other things to keep you busy

... And these are all perfect ideas! I didn't bring my own sheets because they change them everyday anyway, but I brought all my own pillows, blankets, and towels.



Other things the nurses have told me:

- ask to change your room around to meet your needs. I didn't do this because I'm happy with the way the room is, but I know if you are on bedrest, you might want to move the bed near the window, or closer to the tv, or wherever

- one of the techs told me to make sure my pillows/sheets/towels were not white or off-white because if something were to happen, and they rushed me out; and then the techs had to come in here to clean up my room, they might mistake my things for hospital things and put them with the laundry

- bring in a tub/container to keep food in (to keep fresh and in case of ants)

-aluminum foil on containers to keep leftover food in- my room has a small refrigerator and then there is a larger one outside of my room i can keep leftover food in

- tell people who visit to bring food; flowers are nice, but pregnant women need more than hospital food!

- I don't mind this, but one nurse also told me to encourage people to come visit during the week, that way you are not bombarded with a line of people waiting to get in on the weekends, making you exhausted- just to be lonely all week long. I've been happy to have anyone come visit, anytime!

- ask your nurses/ techs questions! Don't be afraid to ask for something, or just if you don't understand something, that is what they are there for. My techs have actually asked me why I never call them, and they reminded me that it's their job to do things for me and they don't mind doing them.

- along with bringing make-up/ hair dryer/ nice clothes- get up and get dressed everyday, make yourself feel good- put on your make-up (I don't, but I put on perfume and do my hair) and it takes up time! Sometimes I keep on pajama pants and an old t-shirt for my dopplers and first round of monitoring just because it makes my belly more accessible and my other shirts clean from the goo, but then I often change into maternity clothes. The hospital I am in has a boutique for inpatients where you can get your hair colored, cut, styled, and get manicures and pedicures; but I have my lovely sister coming tonight to give me a pedicure! So if someone is willing, take up offers to make yourself feel good and keep your spirits up!

- I had a physical therapist come in to ask if I wanted to learn some exercises, even though I'm not on bed rest. I took her up on the offer, just to keep my blood flowing and joints moving. She also gave me a calendar to mark off my exercises and days- which again, takes up time!

That's all I can think of for now! But I will update as I go along!



* Update from 3/8/12-  If anyone is monitored like I was, you honestly may not be able to do anything while you are being monitored. I had to help hold my boys on, because they moved around so much. So I had no free hands to read, color, do anything but watch tv once in awhile- IF THAT. Because I would also watch their numbers to make sure I was getting a good read on them. Good luck to all!



No comments:

Post a Comment