Friday, January 6, 2012

Falls & Steroids

On Wednesday, my cousin and my mom came over to help me organize some things in the house and put away Christmas decorations. It's getting harder and harder to move around. We had a sonogram on Tuesday and the boys are doing great. Their heart rates are wonderful and A is measuring 2 lbs. 11 oz. and B is measuring 2 lbs. 5 oz.! They're big for 26 weeks! I'm hoping some of the big baby genes in my family help me out in this situation.

My mom was down in our basement putting decorations away, my cousin was organizing my bathroom upstairs, and I was sitting on the couch going through boxes. I decided to go down and make sure we had put away all the decorations. I was wearing socks, and the steps leading to the basement are carpeted= not a good combo. I slipped down the last 3 steps and landed on my butt on the bottom step. I should add that A has been laying on my sciatic nerve since Sunday and it was really hard for me to put weight on my right leg. I called the doctor and she said to eat something sweet and cold, and I needed to feel 3 kicks on each side within an hour. My mom made me 2 bowls of ice cream, A started kicking all over, but I only felt one kick from B. I called back and they told me to get assessed in Labor and Delivery. 

I checked in, and the babies were fine, but they noticed I was having contractions 3-4 minutes apart; but I wasn't feeling them. The doctor on call there said that it most likely had nothing to do with the fall. They continued to monitor the babies' heart rates, but noticed my contractions were now 2 minutes apart. I felt one- just a tightness in my abdomen. They decided to keep me overnight to monitor the babies and contractions (I think they were worried because they were all aware of me- I'm being admitted on the 16th, and the high risk situation). They gave me Turbutaline and told me to drink a lot of water. They swabbed me and ran an FNN-fetal fibronectin, that came back negative and means I won't go into labor for at least another 2 weeks. It was a long night, the babies were moving all over and the heart rate strips took forever to do. But I was given permission to go home the next morning. I was prepared to stay, since I'll be there in a week in a half anyway, but they talked to my doctor and she said the contractions were normal with twins and to stick to our plan.

*I want to add that apparently I am already very popular at the hospital. Everyone knows who I am, I had so many doctors and nurses peek in to see me, even the people at the front desk knew who I was. Everyone has been very nice, so far, and that makes knowing that I'll be living there for a few weeks a lot more comforting. 

So today I went back to have a sonogram, do the heart rate strips (NST- which was part of our plan as part of my high risk pregnancy), and get my first steroid injection. Babies are still doing well. I got my first steroid injection of Betamethizone, and I will go back tomorrow for my 2nd injection. I am 26 weeks and 6 days today. 

I will admit I am having 2nd thoughts about our initial plan to do outpatient next week and continue as an inpatient at 28 weeks. After my fall on Wednesday, and being able to see the babies' heart rates on a regular basis, it freaks me out to not be able to see that everyday. We asked if we could be monitored tomorrow, so we'll see. Then we go Monday, Wednesday, and Friday, and then I'll be an inpatient as of Monday the 16th. We may talk to the doctor about being admitted maybe Friday, or going everyday this week for the NST. I don't know. I'm just nervous.

To top it off, my 89 year old grandfather, whom I love like a father, fell on Tuesday. He is in so much pain, refuses to go to the doctor, won't eat, and can't move. Last night my aunt, who he lives with, thinks he had a stroke because he has been talking funny and can't remember anything. My mom just called this second and said that the doctor came to the house and now thinks he has Parkinson's disease. No one wants me to come see him because they don't want me getting upset, but I hate the thought of not being there for him. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment