Friday, January 20, 2012

First Days in the Hospital

I knew I said I would write more after my first full day in the hospital, but so much has happened, and my mind is such a mess, I couldn't concentrate to do it. But first, babies are doing ok.

So Tuesday, I was woken at 6 to repeat my glucose test that the diagnostic lab had done wrong, no big deal. Around 8, I was taken to another part of the hospital to have my biophysical profile done and the dopplers. Both babies passed the biophysical profile and the doppler looked good on Baby B, but they noticed a smaller artery in the umbilical cord of Baby A, which they said they would just keep an eye on. I got back to my EMPTY room around 10. My husband had spent the night and left to go to work. It was the first time alone in the hospital. But, then the nurse came to do the 1 hour heart rate strips, and they were fine, other than my boys don't cooperate and try to squirm away from the monitors. After that, I was exhausted, so I just watched meaningless things on tv and tried to sleep. It was a long day. The nurse came back at 4 do the 1 hour strips again. My mom and some of my aunts came by later (luckily the hospital I am staying in is close to most of my relatives) to visit before going to see my grandfather at the hospice. That night, we didn't start the heart rate strips till 9, and this was my 2 hour one. Because the boys had HAD IT with the monitoring, they were going all over the place and I don't think we finished till 11:45 because we had such a hard time getting a good read on them. As frustrating as it was, they're moving, and that's a good thing. But, when my nurse came to take the strips off, she told me my glucose test came back high and I would have to do it again in the morning- at 5! Shane spent the night with me again.

So on Wednesday, I awoke at 5 to have my blood drawn from my (as I was told) "teeny, tiny veins". They had to use my left hand. I drank the stuff, tried to fall back asleep, but couldn't, and then she came back at 6. She used my left hand again, but then I formed a small hematoma on the top of my hand, and she gave me ice (which ended up leaking all over the bed). So then at 7, she used my right hand. At 8, when the shifts changed, this nurse thought she could use a vein in the side of my arm. She tied the tourniquet so tight around my upper arm, and stuck the needle in, but no blood would come out. She tried for so long, I just laid my head back and then when I looked at my arm, it was a gigantic web of blue veins. She finally gave up and went back to my right hand, and that took forever because she said the vein was ready to collapse. As soon as she finished it was time for my dopplers! Both babies' cords looked fine that day, to the point that the tech was not convinced the twins were momos, she even thought she saw the membrane. Every time I have to the dopplers done, they have to have a doctor sign off on them and come in to look at everything. This doctor thought she saw the membrane, also. But then the director came in and told them that she had seen the cords twist too much to not be momos (this was the director that confirmed they were momos back in November). Either way, we won't know till I deliver and it doesn't change anything I'm doing until then. So, 9:30, back to my room for the strips. Then, my mom called, which I knew wasn't good because she usually waits for me to call her since I have so much done in the morning. I called her back and she told me my grandfather had passed away. I was happy he was at peace, but I cried during that set of strips.

It was a rough day, but my mom came by around 3 and sat with me during the strips. She learned how to follow around the boys and hold the monitor on me. My dad stopped by later, and Shane came and spent the night again. I feel bad for him because he does so much running around. After work, he goes home and feeds the cats, takes a shower, and then comes back to the hospital just to sleep on an uncomfortable sofa bed thing. He's a trooper and I really appreciate him staying.
 Good news of the day- I passed my glucose test!

Thursday I did not have to get up early. But it is hard doing the heart rate strips so late, and having to get up at 7:30 (dopplers were fine again), when my body needs more sleep. It's been hard for me to nap because I've had so many people coming in and out of my room. Thursday I had a spiritual advisor come by and a physical therapist to teach me exercises to do since I can't move around a whole lot. I am allowed to leave the unit to go other areas in the hospital, but I have no desire to- at least not yet. My mom also came by to drop off pictures and a poster board for me to make for my grandfather's viewing. It would give me something to do, and at least I would feel a part of it in some way.

So today, Friday, I had another biophysical profile which Baby A passed, and B got 6 out of 8 because he wasn't practicing breathing. All the doctors said they are not concerned because he has done it before and under 32 weeks, it can be sporadic. I'm trying not to worry about it, and if the doctors aren't worried, then I'm trying not to be. The dopplers were fine again. My mom came by and picked up the poster board I had made. It breaks my heart that I couldn't go to the viewings. They got a flower arrangement for the babies, his first great-grand children. Shane took a picture of it and sent it to me. I had 2 dear friends from high school come by after the viewing to sit with me for a little while.

Now I'm just sitting here waiting for the nurse to come in and do the strips. We'll see how they do tonight, my rambunctious, rowdy, little boys.







No comments:

Post a Comment