Monday, January 9, 2012

Long Day at the Doctor's/Hospital

Everything went fine today. We had a sonogram at 1:15 and the boys are getting big! Their heart rates look good and (to me) the umbilical cords don't look as tangled. The technician we've had has been so nice and has explained, in detail, so much of what she is looking for and what different things mean.

I wanted to meet with the secretary/ scheduling person to talk about the plans for the rest of the week and I asked her to ask the doctor about being admitted sooner, and she said she'd give me a call. So we head down to have another 30 minute NST in Labor and Delivery, and she calls and tells me to come back up to see the doctor. Then I lug my huge body all the way over to the other side of the hospital again. She was happy with the way their heart rates look, happy with how they are developing, and happy with my cervix.... she was mad the hospital made me stay overnight. She said, "Of course you are having contractions! You have 2 babies in there and your uterus knows what it is doing! I'd be worried if you weren't!" :)

But, after talking to her about my fears of waiting through the weekend to be admitted, she told me how even when I am admitted, the only thing it changes is how often I am monitored. Something can happy very quickly, within an hour, whether I am in the hospital or not. The main reason she had scheduled it for Monday instead of Friday was because she needs one of her doctors there to authorize my admission.  But she told me I can always make up reasons to go in and hear the heartbeat if it made us more comfortable. Soooo, we will be doing that. I do feel better after talking to her about it, she seems very confident with our plan, and if I ever get worried, I'll just go in!

Then we headed down for the NST. The boys do not like it, they kick the hardest when they know they are being monitored. I had to have 2 people come in to watch them and they had to bring a sonogram machine in to find them again. They were both head down today. A has been breech a lot of the time, so that was different.

On top of it all, my grandfather is in hospice care now. I know no one really wanted me to go see him (everyone's afraid of me getting too upset), but I couldn't not go. So I went and spent some time with him tonight. :(

2 comments:

  1. Katie,
    I'm sorry to hear about your grandfather. Perhaps the stress of not seeing him outweighs the sadness of a visit? You are one our family's mind. Let us know when/if you are up for a visit. Nathaniel would really love that!
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh! I just saw this! I'm sorry. They won't let any children back here under the age of 12 unless they are a sibling :( but I think about him all the time! I will try and write you an email soon!

    ReplyDelete