Thursday, January 26, 2012

Busy

Since this past weekend I have been so incredibly busy! I was kind of exhausted today, but being so busy really helped to make the days go by faster.

So Saturday, my whole family was at my grandfather's funeral. I probably would have been more upset about it at the time, but I was having all my monitoring done, so I really wasn't able to think about it. It still upsets me that I wasn't able to go. The whole situation doesn't feel real to me because I was not able to live it. I don't think the reality of it all will sink in until I am around my whole family and he is not there. But, I had my father, stepmother and step sister visit on Saturday. And some of my family came by after the funeral. Shane actually recorded parts of the ceremony on his phone for me so I could see some of it- which I really, really appreciate. I haven't had time to watch it yet, but maybe it will bring me some closure.

On the weekends I don't go to the prenatal diagnostic area of the hospital for the dopplers, I go to the radiology unit. The tech up there does the sonogram, and then sends the numbers to the director of the prenatal diagnostic center (who's at home), and then she gets back to my nurses and they tell me how it went. The tech is not as familiar with my situation, but she told me both Saturday and Sunday that the numbers appeared to be similar to the ones they retrieved during the week.

Sunday my in-laws came by with lunch, and my grandparents, and one of my aunts. Sunday was also the Ravens playoff game.....

Monday I had more family stop by and all the usual testing, which went fine. That night more people came by, including an old co-worker of mine who brought me prayer cards and games to play! Things to do and things to eat are the perfect gifts in here.

Tuesday was the biophysical profile and neither one of them passed. Neither one would practice breathing. They each have to breathe for 30 seconds straight. A would breathe for 15, then stop. Then he would breathe for 20 seconds, then stop. I'm curious to see how these personalities they seem to be showing already will stick when they are born. My doctor was also not happy with the heart rate strips on Tuesday. She likes to see big changes in reactive rates, and they appeared to be sleeping for the first 2 strips that day. I was pretty worried about it, even though the nurse said there was obvious movement and changes in heart rate. My day time nurse had to hold the boys on, especially A, for both of the 2 hour strips. My aunt had brought me lunch and spent the day with me. And I had more visitors Tuesday night!

Wednesday I woke up and ate 2 donuts- hoping that would get them going- and it did! During the dopplers, B breathed the ENTIRE time! When the director came in to do her check after the tech, she said that the girl who did them in radiology over the weekend noted that they had both breathed. It just figures, that when it counts, they don't do it. But the director said at least I know they do DO it, if I didn't come in so frequently, I'd probably be more concerned. I was reminded of why I am so glad I am in here being monitored so often. Their strips were much better, too, I'm sure on account of the donuts. My step mother brought me lunch, I had another co-worker visit, and my mom brought me dinner. Another day of guests!

Today I was EXHAUSTED- mentally, emotionally, and physically. I didn't realize how physically exhausted I'd be in here. I thought I'd be sleeping, laying around, getting plenty of rest. But these boys are draining me in ways I can't describe. Plus, it is very hard to be so aware of what is going on, what people are talking about, what your schedule is from day to day, and trying to keep my life somewhat normal while I'm in here. I can't help but watch the monitors while they are doing the heart rate strips, my eyes are glued to the screens when they are doing the dopplers and profiles, and then I try to keep my little room neat, and keep my things organized.

The dopplers of the cords were fine today but they said A's numbers were a little high, still in the normal range, but high- like a 4.2, which means he may not be getting as much nutrients as B. The director didn't seem concerned, but I was freaking out. I took a 4 hour nap when I got back (and after the strips) and when my doctor came to see me, she wasn't worried about it all. She just told me to keep eating.

Let's see how they do with the biophysical profile tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment