Friday, February 24, 2012

I Think Nolan Wants OUT of The NICU

Our boys are doing so well, still. Everyone in the NICU loves them, and they are still considered "feeders and growers"= all they need to do is learn to eat and grow some more and they can come home. The feeding is going ok. We try breastfeeding once a day and a bottle once a day. The hardest part is the coordination of it all. Their brains don't know they need to breathe/ suck/ and swallow all at the same time. They are getting it, they have good days and bad days. Brooks was really doing well a few days ago (which is funny because he was Baby A in all the biophysical profiles, so he always did everything first anyway), and yesterday I was telling the nurse this. Well, Nolan must of heard because he did not want to be shown up by his brother and did fabulously yesterday. I even heard him gulp, so he was actually able to swallow. He has also pulled out his feeding tube 3 times in the past 2 days. The nurse said he probably feels like it's not supposed to be there. He's done! He pulled it out once when Shane was holding him and waved it in the air, very proud of himself.

Brooks weighs 3 lb. 14 oz. and Nolan is up to 4 lb. 11 oz., which is great weight gain.

They both continue to have bradycardias, but Nolan only has a few. Next week, when they are 34 weeks gestation, the heart rate limit drops to 80, right now it's set at 90. So the alarm goes off when their heart rate goes below that. Most of Nolan's are in the 80's, so next week, they won't count as bradys. Brooks' are in the 80's sometimes, but they have dropped to the 60's and a few in the 50's. But again, he recovers quickly on his own, and it is usually when he is doing something.

It is still getting harder and harder to leave. They know the sounds of our voices so well now, and I swear I think Nolan's lip quivers when we tell him goodnight. Brooks always opens his eyes and I can't leave when his eyes are open.

Shane and I are both exhausted. When we're home, I'm sleeping, eating, and pumping- definitely not getting the rest I was told to, but how can anyone? Shane has to go to work. I need to get the nursery ready, but I feel guilty not being at the NICU. At this point, I have to wait for a ride though, since I still have another week to go until I can drive. We are both delirious, half falling asleep at the NICU, trying to get in cars that aren't ours when we are leaving, and I feel like I can't form sentences properly when I'm talking. It's all worth it, I know you are given only what you can handle, and again, we are so incredibly lucky.

But my sweet Nolan wants to go home (and Brooks too) and I can't wait to tell them they can.


No comments:

Post a Comment